Addiction is a big problem that many individuals have to address, but what precisely is an addiction? It is a compulsive need that a person feels the urge to satisfy.
Different Types of Addictions
There are several kinds of addiction that many individuals are not aware of. Aside from the usual dependence on particular substances, there are some other activities or things which a person may misuse. A lot of people regularly experience the indications of such craving, and yet they don’t notice any concern resulting from it. That’s until they finally recognize they’re unhealthy. If not treated or addressed early, minor damaging behaviors can be life-threatening. Below is the list of addictions that many people experience.
- The human body can ingest alcohol at a particular amount that still permits the brain to work well. One indication of alcohol dependence is deep craving for alcoholic drink, which compels an individual to drink more what the body system can manage. Consuming alcohol can bring satisfying sensations to some social drinkers but that’s no longer the circumstance to an abusive alcoholic as the brain chemistry of an alcohol dependent has already been changed.
- This kind of addiction isn’t limited to the use of prohibited drugs. Prescription medications may also be abused since some people would wish to be pain-free particularly when such pain hampers them from working. Taking medicines in recurrent and increased doses builds up an individual’s tolerance to them. Drug addicts sleep more or less than average persons. Instead of consuming regular meals and snacks, they want sweets or other foods. Changes in the personality also occur. A happy individual, for one, can be very irritable or timid when high in drugs.
- Having a huge appetite is dissimilar from this. Most people mistake this as a typical desire for food. Therefore, they don’t consider a cure for dependence even though its indications are very apparent in them. Fatty or sugary foods are what people usually want to eat in large amounts. Sugar and salt may seem safe, but their large quantities can change the normal function of the brain. Binge eating is a habit that impulses a person to consume a huge amount of food in a very short time. In addition to increased weight, the person also has increased dependency on food. A mood of helplessness transpires when desired quantity of food isn’t acquired.
- An individual’s ecstasy for winning can lead to gambling. In this situation, the person may bet all the assets only to win any game. Current’s technology has carried about another dependence, which is usual for the young individuals. This include the internet or online gaming. More frequently than not, teenagers are unable to regulate their gaming habits that their everyday activities and efficiency get affected. Among the females and young professionals, an obsession with shopping is very usual. Shopaholics are commonly in deep debt holes since they have a tendency to max out credit limits only to get the latest items.
Simple Ways to Combat Addiction
Determine the Pros And Cons
- Make a note of all the things you like regarding the addictive activity or material. After completing the lists, compare them. Make a cost and benefit assessment. Do the costs outweigh the benefits? If this is the case, you have just taken the initial step toward recognizing and making the needed changes in your life.
Cut Back or Completely Stop
- Some people find it easier to stop an addiction. Some may start off by smoking five fewer cigarettes every day or maybe gaming just once every other week instead of everyday. In contrast, some may indicate less effort to quit cold turkey. With dissuading, most individuals are less anxious, so they have a tendency to be more driven. Quitting cold turkey is commonly harder at the beginning, but the procedure is faster. This method maybe considered a higher entry worth but truly easier to uphold since transition period is much shorter.
Keep Away From Cravings
- One of the hardest things regarding eliminating behavioral addiction is the withdrawal period. Calling a friend, working on a project, taking a walk, or any activity that will make some detachment between you and your addiction is beneficial.
Significant Addiction Statistics
Columbia University’s National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse found that more than 80% of those in prison in adult and juvenile penal institutes were detained as a result of addiction.
- The number one killer of lawbreakers released from prison is drug overdose. Cocaine is the most abused drug.
- The US accounts for just 5% of the total world’s population. Nevertheless, 2/3 of prohibited drugs are taken in America.
- 23% of the world’s detainees are imprisoned in America.
- Between 1995 and 2005 cure admissions for addiction on prescription painkillers increased more than 300%.
- Over 29% of the teenagers in treatment are reliant on some prescription medication, which include sedatives, tranquilizers, and opiates.
- Roughly 14 million US citizens or 8% of the entire population, meet the indicative criteria for alcoholism or alcohol abuse.
- In the US, about one in four individuals age 18 years old and below is exposed to alcohol dependence or abuse in the family.
- Children of alcoholics or addicts are almost three times likely to be physical, verbally, or sexually abused and four times more probable than other young people to be neglected.
- In the US alone over 100,000 deaths every year are associated with drug and alcohol abuse.
- Among the drinkers and alcoholics, almost 4.5 million are teenagers and adolescents are excessively involved in alcohol-related car accidents.
- One in 4 deaths in America can be attributed to tobacco, alcohol, or illegal drug use.
- Over 75% of domestic violence sufferers report that their attacker had been using illegal drugs or drinking when the incident happened.
- In 2010, an estimated 22.6 million US citizens more than the age of 12 were present or former illegal drug abusers within the previous month of when the study was conducted. This figure equates to around 8.9% of the entire population of young individuals aged 12 and above.
- The rate of previous drug use of individuals aged 50 to 59 increased from 2.7% to 5.8% from 2002 to 2010.
- Every year, drug abuse and addiction cost companies more than 122 billion dollars in lost output time and additional 15 billion dollars in medical insurance costs.
Addiction can be very hard to address and break sometimes but with proper guidance and treatment, individuals who are dependent on some materials or activities can definitely overcome this serious condition.