Memphis, Tennessee is a southern city that is the county seat of Shelby County, Tennessee. It is the 20th largest city in the United States with a total population of 646,899 as of the year 2010, and it is also the largest city in the state of Tennessee. Memphis has not always been the booming city that it is today; it only began to grow in the late 1930’s when it became the world’s largest hardwood lumber market and the world’s largest cotton market. These two great achievements definitely put Memphis, Tennessee in the classification of being a national asset. Over the years Memphis, Tennessee has also been labeled as the world’s largest mule market and was one of the first cities in the United States to take part in the National City Beautiful Movement, building parks and establishing high standards for preserving the city’s beauty and charm.
Memphis, Tennessee Addiction Problems
Even in a city with such rich history and promise, there are still today major problems with addiction. Teens, adults, and the elderly all fall victim to some sort of drug addiction in the city of Memphis, Tennessee, just as others have all across the nation. Out of the 646,899 people in the city of Memphis, Tennessee more than 100,000 suffer from an addiction of some sort. This problem has, and will continue to cause hardships for families and friends of the addicts, and on society as a whole.
When considering the effects of addiction on society most people only think about crimes such as burglary, prostitution, or gang wars and murder. These are only part of the bigger picture when it comes to the impact of drug-related issues on a city’s resources. Some of the ways drugs impact our individual cities and the entire US as a whole include:[list style=”arrow”]
- Statistics show that over 18% of prison inmates committed their crimes to obtain drugs.
- Over 26% of federal inmates were on drugs when committing their crime.
- Drug abuse is responsible for an increase in HIV/AIDS and STDs nationwide.
- Accidental deaths from drug overdose outnumber automobile accident deaths.
- Lost productivity at work affects the business and the other employees.
- Drug related accidents and thefts at work have a big impact on the business and employees.
- Millions of citizens become victims of drug-related crime yearly.
- Innocent citizens are forced to undergo random drug tests at work.
- Hospitals and government bear the burden of medical care for most addicts.
This is only a partial list of the effects of addiction on society. The damage has been far-reaching and continues to expand. Many addicts have been rehabilitated through the years, but there are millions more that need treatment, and this increasing need for effective addiction treatment programs is a national concern.
Memphis, Tennessee Solutions
There are currently hundreds of rehabilitation facilities in each state nationwide and they are ready to help. Regardless of the substance being abused or the addict’s unique needs, there is a program available to get them back on track to being an asset to their family and society.
If you or someone you care for is living in or around the city of Memphis, Tennessee and looking for an addiction solution, call now.